The Dyrham & Hinton Website

Brief History

WelcomeDyrham & HintonParish MattersParish InformationLocal ServicesLocal Information

D&H Website Link

Website Info   contact Website Policy     Privacy    Site map

577

Battle of Deorham (Dyrham) took place just SE of Hinton on Hinton Hill between the Britons and the Saxons ... Link; Link

Pre-1086

Aluric (Anglo-Saxon) owned the Manor of Dyrham

1086

The Domesday Book recorded the tenant-in-chief as William FitzWido (Norman)

Pre-1204

The Manor of Dyrham owned by the de Ballon family; later the Newmarch family

1204-1416

Manor of Dyrham owned by the Russell family

1280

Parts of St Peter's church built

1416-1571

Manor of Dyrham owned by the Denys family

1420

St Peter's church tower built

1470

St Peter's enlarged

1541

Hinton Manor and lands granted to the Corporation of Bristol to relieve shipping tolls

1571-1686

Manor of Dyrham owned by the Wynter family

1581

The Tomb of George Wynter and his wife, Anne, built

1686

William Blathwayt married the Dyrham heiress, Mary Wynter

1692-1704

Wm Blathwayt rebuilt Dyrham Park House. Founded the Blathwayt dynasty

19 Century

Dyrham united with Dyrham to form the civil parish of Dyrham and Hinton

1956

Ministry of Works and National Land Fund bought the manor as a memorial to the WW2 dead

1959

The National Trust bought Dyrham House and gardens

1976

The Land Fund bought Dyrham Deer Park and transferred it to the National Trust

        back     forward